Bebé Sueño

A Colombian adoption story!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

No Word Yet & Timeline Update

Just an update to say that we don't have an update! Although our dossier has been in Colombia for almost the full five months we haven't received word of an approval yet. I have to admit I'm starting to get a little antsy! I feel sure we will get approved but part of me is a little nervous that we won't for some reason or that our file has been lost or well a 100 other scenarios - but 99.9% that everything is fine and just behind because of the holidays. Those of you who know me, know that this is a normal part of my personality to worry about these things :) So I'm just going to hang tight and try to get my mind on other things for awhile.

The wait for an infant has officially been moved up from 30 months to 32 months. The timeline shifts can be frustrating and this is the second time it's happened since we started this process only 8 months ago. I am glad to have an accurate update but I sure wish things would move faster. We went into this figuring that it would be a 3 year wait for an infant because of potential slowdowns along the way and I'm very prepared to make that wait. But it got me thinking... what if they keep increasing it? What if it gets to 4 years? 5 years? Yes, I know I'm being pretty pessimistic here. Once again, I'm a bit of a worry wart! So I'm just going to take a deep breath and concentrate on some happy thoughts. Just like anything, the adoption process has it's ups and downs and I'm having a bit of a down. The up side of the situation is that so many people want to adopt those little bebes and ninos, and I'm so happy that they are finding homes and forever families! I can't get too upset about that, now can I?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up hon. It'll happen.

January 17, 2008 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Laura S said...

My guess...your paperwork has already been reviewed and it is just taking time to get the word back to your agency. I have noticed for some reason it seems to take a couple of weeks.

Hopefully you will hear something very soon! I seriously doubt the wait will go up much more for those already on the list (which you should be soon) but I can see it happening for the people behind you as Colombia becomes the primary latin american program for a while.

January 19, 2008 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Jer, Kari, Alayna-Maria said...

Hang in there. We waited three years for our daughter (at the time we began the program in 2004, the wait was listed as 10-15 months). At the time we started too, the psych report portion of the dossier was brand new, and they didn't really know how to explain what they wanted, so the dossier we submitted to ICBF in June 2004 was kicked back to us in October 2004. We had to do an additional psych report, and our dossier wasn't approved until March 2005. While we were waiting, there was a Presidential election (takes public workers away form adoption tasks), a worker strike (same), and a new director came to replace one who was let go, the transition of which caused a cessation of activity.
My point in saying all this is not to discourage you but to say that there is always something but you can perservere.
It also seems like the worst has passed as far as changes in the system causing delays, and things will start to improve. (As Laura says, it may be a different story for people beginning the program now, but you are safe!) Your child is waiting for you and it is worth it. If you want to see our story, visit www.podolskifamilyjourney.blogspot.com. We'll be watching for good news for you.

January 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Jacq & Jason said...

Hang in there! I know the wait is killer. We are also on the baby list. So many things can play in your head. But it is so comforting to know that while there is a lot of chaos and crazyness our God is a God of exactness and precision. He is the God in Colombia and he is planning your paperwork's journey to be in the exact place for it to reach your child, the child he has promised you! Keep the hope!
Jacquelyn (CHI waiting family)

February 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home